Most Marvellous Rhubarb and GINger Cake
This truly scrumptious cake with a boozy twist is perfect served either as a teatime treat or as a delicious dessert with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or lashings of hot custard. The cake uses the super delicious and multi award-winning rhubarb gin from fellow Northamptonshire producer, Warner Edwards.
- 300g Magical gluten-free self-raising flour blend
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3.5 tsp ground ginger
- 125g butter
- 120ml golden syrup
- 100ml black treacle
- 120g light brown soft sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten together with 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp stem ginger, chopped
- 250g rhubarb, chopped
- For the syrup…
- 50ml Warner Edwards Rhubarb Gin
- 50ml ginger ale
- 120g caster sugar
- Step 1 Place the sugar, treacle, syrup and butter in a pan and gently heat, stirring occasionally until melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Step 2 Finely chop the stem ginger then add to the butter/sugar mix and stir through.
- Step 3 Measure the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger into a bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Stir in 300g of the chopped rhubarb.
- Step 4 Beat the eggs together in a bowl with the milk.
- Step 5 Add the two sets of wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in your bowl and stir together to fully combine.
- Step 6 Transfer the cake batter to a greased and lined 8” round cake tin and smooth the top.
- Step 7 Press the remaining 50g of chopped rhubarb into the top of the cake then bake at 140c / 120 fan/ gas 1-2 for around 1hr 20mins and until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 8 To make the syrup…Place the sugar, gin and ginger ale into a pan and bring to the boil. Keep on a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes until the liquid has reduced a little and you have a more syrupy consistency. Remove from the heat.
- Step 9 While your cake is still hot, poke lots of holes in the top with a skewer and then pour over your rhubarb gin drizzle.
- Step 10 Leave in the tin to cool for around 30mins then turn out on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Step 11 Enjoy! xx Millie, Marcus and Me xx