Most Marvellous Gluten-Free Chicken 'Almost' Pie with Parmesan Pastry Crust
MMmmmmm, chicken pie. It's good old-fashioned comfort food. And this really is a *good* chicken pie! Well OK, an 'almost' pie - as the filling is not entirely encased in pastry...this one just has a pastry top 🙂 It’s packed with succulent chicken, colourful vegetables and ham, all bound together in a creamy sauce and topped with a cheeky Parmesan pastry crust for turbo-charged scrumminess And what’s more, it’s gloriously gluten-free! Follow our step-by-step instructions to make yourself the Most Marvellous gluten-free chicken pie…
- 380g Most Marvellous savoury shortcrust pastry
- 50g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 red onion and 1/2 leek, sliced
- 60g edamame beans
- Handful broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 large flat mushrooms, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50g honey roast ham, chopped
- 1 Kallo chicken stock cube made up with 500ml hot water
- 30g butter
- 30g gluten-free plain flour
- 200ml reserved chicken stock
- 20ml white wine
- 80ml creme fraiche
- Step 1 Make your pastry first so that it has time to chill. Follow the instructions on the back of the packet of your Most Marvellous Savoury Shortcrust Pastry Mix, with the additional step of adding 50g finely grated Parmesan before rubbing in the fat.
- Step 2 While your pastry is chilling, you can get on with making the pie filling. Put the carrot, celery, chicken, edamame beans, leek, onion, thyme and stock in a large pan. Bring to the boil and keep on a rolling boil for 12 minutes.
- Step 3 Drain the meat and vegetables into a colander with a bowl placed underneath to catch the stock (you will use it again to make the sauce) and remove the thyme sprigs.
- Step 4 In a separate pan, melt the butter then add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for two minutes then gradually add the stock and wine stirring all the time to prevent lumps forming. Once all the liquid is added and you have a smooth thick sauce, remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper then stir through the creme fraiche.
- Step 5 Return the chicken and vegetables to your large pan, add in the mushrooms, broccoli, ham and the sauce and stir everything through. Transfer the mixture to a 1 litre round pie tin. Brush the rim of your pie tin with egg wash and set aside.
- Step 6 Roll out your pastry between two sheets of clingfilm so that it is just larger than the top of your pie dish. Peel off the top layer of clingfilm, slide your hand under the pastry and bottom layer of clingfilm then flip it onto the top of your pie dish. Carefully peel off the bottom layer of clingfilm (which is now on top!) and press down around the edges of the pastry so that it sticks to the rim. Trim the excess off with a knife then prick the top a few times with a fork.
- Step 7 Brush the pastry all over with egg wash then bake in your oven at 180C / Gas 4 (AGA: bottom of the roasting oven with the plain shelf on the third set of rungs) for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is cooked through with a lovely golden glow.