Most Marvellous Stem Ginger Cake with Gingerbread Granola and Lemon Syrup
We have news: cereal is not just for breakfast! Far from it. It can make a tasty topping for a cake, be transformed into on-the-go snack bars and become a perfect pudding ingredient! Why not use our Gingerbread Granola to make this fiery stem ginger cake with a crunchy gingerbread granola and lemon syrup topping…
- 120g golden syrup
- 120g treacle
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 60g Stork
- 60g butter
- 240ml milk
- 70g stem ginger, finely diced
- 220g Most Marvellous Baking artisan self-raising flour blend
- 20g ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g Most Marvellous Gingerbread Granola
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 50ml)
- 50g golden caster sugar
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 160c / 140c fan and grease and line an 8″ round cake tin.
- Step 2 Put the sugar, syrup, treacle, milk and butter/Stork in a pan and melt slowly while stirring and then continue to heat until just the boil. Remove from the heat, stir through the stem ginger and set aside.
- Step 3 Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Step 4 Pour the melted ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir well until combined then add the egg and stir again until fully incorporated.
- Step 5 Pour the cake mixture into your tin and bake in the oven for approximately one hour until the top springs back and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Step 6 Just before the cake is ready to come out of the oven, place the lemon zest and juice and the sugar in a small pan and heat slowly, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and keep on a rolling boil for two minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the gingerbread granola.
- Step 7 When your cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into the top using a skewer and then pour the lemon syrup gingerbread granola mixture evenly over the top. Set aside to cool in the tin.
- Step 8 Once the cake has completely cooked, carefully remove it from the tin and transfer to a serving plate/cake stand. If you wish, you can now add a frosted lemon drizzle for added visual effect. Simply mix the juice of half a lemon with about 3 tbsp icing sugar to achieve the consistency of a thick liquid (not quite a paste) and drizzle liberally in a random pattern over the top and sides of your cake. This cake gets even better with age as the fiery ginger flavour intensifies and the zingy lemon flavour soaks in.
- Step 9 Enjoy!