Most Marvellous Cinnamon Apple Galette Recipe
24th June 2017
A deliciouslt tart apple pie flavoured with cinnamon and encased in a sweet enriched pastry. Delicious with lashings of cream!
- 300g Most Marvellously Magical Plain Flour Blend
- 125g caster sugar
- 85g Stork for baking
- 90g unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk (from a large egg)
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 600g Bramley apples
- 100g raisins
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 egg + 15ml milk (for egg wash)
- You will also need a 20cm/8
- Step 1 Heat your oven to 180c / 160 fan / Gas 4.
- Step 2 Weigh the flour and sugar out into the bowl of a stand mixer. Cube the butter and add with the Stork (in small dollops) to the flour and mix with the paddle attachment until you have a consistency like fine sand/small pebbles.
- Step 3 Add in the egg yolk and water and mix again to form a ball of dough.
- Step 4 Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 5 While the dough is chilling, peel and slice the apples and place in a bowl with the lemon juice and zest, giving everything a good stir to coat the apples with the lemon.
- Step 6 Sprinkle the raisins, sugar and cinnamon into the bowl and stir to distribute. Set aside.
- Step 7 Grab your pastry from the fridge, sandwich it between two sheets of clingfilm and carefully roll out to a thickness of around 3-4mm.
- Step 8 Peel off the top layer of clingfilm.
- Step 9 Place your sandwich tin upside down onto the middle of the rolled-out pastry. Carefully slide your hand under the bottom layer of clingfilm, place your other hand/forearm on top of the inverted tin and quickly and positively flip them over.
- Step 10 Place the tin onto your work surface and gently press the pastry into the bottom and sides of the tin. Trim away excess if you have it.
- Step 11 Tip the apple mixture into the lined tin and spread around to even everything out.
- Step 12 Gather your pastry scraps back together and reroll to make the pastry lid. You can use the base of your tin to cut the lid shape to size.
- Step 13 Brush the top edges of the pastry in the tin with egg wash (this will help your lid stick).
- Step 14 Using the same principle as for the base, peel away the top layer of clingfilm, slide your hand under the bottom later then quickly and positively flip it over onto the top of the apples in the tin.
- Step 15 Gently press the edges of the lid to help it stick then carefully peel away the clingfilm.
- Step 16 Brush the entire top of the galette with egg wash and use the prongs of a fork to poke a hole in the top of the lid.
- Step 17 Pop the tin in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until your galette is a beautiful golden colour.
- Step 18 Leave in the tin until cool enough to remove.
- Step 19 Serve with lashings of fresh cream!