Most Marvellous Banana Loaf
While we'd happily tuck into a banana loaf any day of the year, there's something a just a little bit special about the smell of a banana loaf baking in the oven on a cold winter's day. This recipe uses our magical gluten-free flour blend and a dairy-free alternative to butter to create a deliciously moist gluten and dairy free banana loaf with a crunchy top.
- 130g Flora Dairy Free
- 200g light brown soft sugar
- 3 overripe bananas (ours weighed around 280g out of the skins)
- 2 large eggs
- 240g Magical gluten-free plain flour blend
- 2.5 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 20ml dairy-free alternative to milk
- And for the crunchy top...
- One egg white, whisked until foamy
- About 1/2 tsp light brown soft sugar
- Step 1 Heat your oven to 170c / 150 fan / gas 3. Grease a 1lb loaf tin and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Step 2 Weigh the fat and sugar into a large bowl and smoosh (techical term) with a rubber spatula until you have a paste-like consistency.
- Step 3 In a separate bowl, squish the bananas with a fork then crack in the eggs and give everything a whisk to combine. Pour this mixture into the first bowl and mix everything lightly together to form a lumpy batter.
- Step 4 In a third bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt then fold this into the batter mix. Don’t go mad, you just need to make sure there are no traces of flour showing but you still want the batter to be lumpy.
- Step 5 Finally, stir through the dairy-free alternative to milk and tip the batter into your loaf tin.
- Step 6 Pop the tin in the oven for 45mins.
- Step 7 After 45mins, carefully remove the loaf tin from the oven, brush the top of the cake with the egg white foam, sprinkle with the sugar and return the tin to the oven for a further 15mins until the top is crunchy and a skewer poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean (a crumb is OK, just no liquidy batter!)
- Step 8 Leave in the tin for 15mins then carefully turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 9 Enjoy! xx Milo, Maddy and Me xx