Most Marvellous Cheddar and Mozzarella Twists
These deliciously doughy cheese twists are quick and easy to prepare, require no proving time and bake in under 30 minutes. The only difficulty you will have is waiting for them to be cool enough to eat!
- 200g Magical gluten-free plain flour blend
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 50g butter, cubed
- 35g full fat cream cheese
- 120g mature cheddar, finely grated
- 100g mozzarella, finely grated
- 1 large egg + 50ml milk
- Extra cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- Additional egg/milk for egg wash
- Step 1 Measure the flour, salt, pepper and poppy seeds into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir to combine.
- Step 2 Add the cubed butter and cream cheese to the bowl and mix using the paddle attachment until you have a fine breadcrumb consistency.
- Step 3 Add the grated cheddar and mozzarella and mix.
- Step 4 Crack the egg into the mixture, pour in the milk and mix to bring everything together into a ball. The dough will be slightly sticky but you will be able to work with it without the need for additional flour.
- Step 5 Lay a long strip of clingfilm on your work surface then divide the dough into six roughly equal pieces. You may find it easier to lightly oil your hands while handling the dough.
- Step 6 Roll each piece of dough into a long sausage and then cut the sausage in half.
- Step 7 Place the two halves next to each other, press one end together then twist three or four times and finish by pressing the other ends together to seal the twist.
- Step 8 Lay the twist on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Step 9 Continue this process until you have used up all your dough.
- Step 10 Brush each twist with egg wash and, for additional cheesiness, sprinkle each twist with a little finely grated cheddar.
- Step 11 Bake your twists in the oven at 190C / 170 fan / Gas 5 for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- Step 12 Transfer to a wire rack until cool or you can no longer resist the smell.
- Step 13 Enjoy! xx Millie, Marcus and Me xx