The Most Marvellous Double Chocolate Stout Cake (AKA The Spoonerism Cake)
A deliciously rich, moist chocolate cake made with gluten-free double chocolate stout and topped with a cream cheese and white chocolate frosting. We use Westerham's Wally Winker's Double Chocolate Stout in this cake, which is why it is otherwise known as 'The Spoonerism Cake'!
- 200g butter
- 200ml gluten-free Wally Winker's double chocolate stout
- 315g caster sugar
- 60g cocoa
- 120ml buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 215g Magical gluten-free plain flour blend
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180g full fat cream cheese
- 115g white chocolate, melted
- 65g icing sugar
- Step 1 1. Grease and line an 8 inch round cake tin. Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 160 fan / Gas 4.
- Step 2 2. In a large pan (it needs to be big enough to eventually hold all the cake ingredients), melt the butter with the stout on a low heat.
- Step 3 3. Add the sugar and cocoa to the pan and stir through until fully incorporated.
- Step 4 4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Pour these into the pan and stir through the chocolatey mixture.
- Step 5 5. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into the pan in small amounts, whisking after each addition to fully incorporate the flour. It is important that you do this in small batches or you will get clumps of flour that are hard to mix in.
- Step 6 6. Pour the cake batter into your cake tin and carefully bang the tin on the worktop a couple of times to release any air bubbles you may have whisked into the batter. Pop the tin in the oven for 1 hour until baked through and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 7 7. Leave to cool in the tin for at least half an hour, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
- Step 8 8. While your cake is baking, make the frosting… put the white chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl and heat in short bursts until melted. Lightly beat together the icing sugar and cream cheese. Don’t overbeat or it will become too runny. Add the melted chocolate and stir through. Place the frosting in the fridge to stiffen up a little until your cake is ready and cooled.
- Step 9 9. Pipe or spread the frosting on top of the cake and cut into big, mouth-watering wedges.
- Step 10 10. Enjoy! xx Millie, Marcus and Me xx