Most Marvellously Buttery Cracker Bites with Sea Salt Flakes
These super buttery cracker bites can be loaded with cheese or munched just as they come. We must warn you that they are super moreish and it will be a huge challenge not to eat them all straigh from the cooling rack! They will, however, keep for a few days in an airtight container - should you have such a level of self-control!
- 280g Most Marvellously Magical Plain Flour Blend
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder (e.g. Dr. Oetker)
- 30ml rapeseed oil
- 110g salted butter, frozen
- 120ml cold water
- 30-40g salted butter, melted (for brushing)
- Maldon sea salt flakes (for sprinkling)
- Step 1 Heat your oven to 190c / 170c fan / gas 5.
- Step 2 Put the flour, sea salt (not flakes) and baking powder together into a bowl and give a good whisk to fully distribute.
- Step 3 Grab your frozen butter and grate it in 3-4 stages over the dry ingredients, stopping every so often to gently distribute the butter and cover in flour (you’re trying to stop it from clumping together).
- Step 4 Add in the rapeseed oil and stir through with a knife.
- Step 5 Next add the water. Again, stir through with a knife and then use your hands to bring the dough together into a ball. If the dough appears a little on the dry/crumbly side, slowly add more water (a teaspoon at a time) until it comes together).
- Step 6 Wrap the dough in clingfilm and pop it in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Step 7 Grab your dough from the fridge, sandwich it between two sheets of clingfilm and carefully roll it out to a thickness of around 3mm.
- Step 8 Using a 5cm crimped pastry cutter, stamp out as many rounds as you can and carefully lift onto baking sheets, spacing the crackers a few centimetres apart. Gather any dough scraps together, reroll and cut until you’ve used up all the dough.
- Step 9 Using either the prongs of a fork or a skewer, poke four holes into the centre of each cracker.
- Step 10 Place the baking trays in the oven and bake your crackers for 6-8 minutes until they begin to turn a nice golden colour.
- Step 11 Brush the top of the crackers with melted butter and sprinkle with Maldon sea salt flakes.
- Step 12 Leave the crackers on the tray to cool/crisp up then get stuck in!